Student Visa Rules

Rules keep on changing these are for general idea only. Check with your local U.S. Embassy / Consulate for updated rules. The content on this page is based on various US Department of State websites.

Types of student visas

F-1 Visa for Academic Student: F-1 allows one to enter the U.S. as a full-time student at an accredited (U.S. government- approved) college or university. The student must be enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate program.
J-1 Visa for Exchange Student: The J-1 is for students pursuing graduate / post-graduate studies as exchange students, visiting scholars, medical doctors undergoing training, summer interns, etc.
M-1 Visa for Vocational Student: M-1 is issued to students who want to pursue non-academic programs (health care technician, machinist, dental hygienist, etc) in an established institution.

F-1 Eligibility

Evidence of strong family and home ties in the home country with intent to depart from the United States and return to his/her residence after completion of the degree program.
Evidence of sufficient funding to pay the school fee and live in the U.S. during the entire course of the program.
Possession of the required skill level, prior degrees to qualify for the intended course of study in the U.S.
Evidence that the University that has offered admission for the full course of study is approved by the U.S. Government to admit international students.
Should be proficient in English or required to undergo ESL program for enhancing English language proficiency.

US Department of State Resources for visa applicants

Visa application forms

Obtaining a U.S. visa - Visa Page

Destination USA

Home | Blog | Copyright Notice | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

Copyright © 2007 - 2012, All rights reserved